Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Holiday Break Assignment for Teachers


This week America wept.  We watched as the aftermath unfolded following one of the greatest tragedies of our era.  Our hearts go out to the victims and survivors of Newtown, Connecticut.  Once again our reflective lens is in sharp focus.  We have all viewed our problems as feeble in comparison to their loss and pain.  No words can express the sorrow which is born from unfathomable acts.
 
Reflection is a practice which I attempt to use regularly.  This week, as I discovered how pathetic my simple problems were, I also rediscovered some of the wonderful factors which were at work in my life.  First, I am proud of my children and who they are developing into.  I’m not always happy with their decisions, but that’s part of growing up.  I can honestly say that I like my kids.  Second, I am proud of my work family and who we are all developing into.  We are a community of life-long learners and few of us are ever happy with the status quo.  What more could I ask for but a group of teachers who are continuously working to improve?  AAK is a great place to work.  Third, I am proud of the students at AAK.  Once again I find that I’m not always proud of their decisions, but I do believe our student body is healthy.  A principal cannot ask for a better group of kids.  Fourth, I am proud of our North Country community.  Supportive is the word which comes to mind as I reflect on their involvement with their children, budgetary issues, safety, etc.  Our community cares about their children and about our school.
 
As demands press upon us from all directions; as SED continues to provide half of what we need and all of what we don’t need; as stress builds; as tempers flare, it’s important, especially in light of recent tragedies, to take stock in what we do have.  So, I wish you all well for the Holiday Season.  Rest and relax – you’ve earned it.  But, please take time to reflect on what positive factors are working in your life.  This is your assignment. 
 
                                                                                                                Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment