Friday, October 28, 2011

It's Been a Long Week


I started writing this Friday Focus about a dozen times between Thursday night and Friday morning. Words are not flowing freely.

What is there to say?

My heart goes out to the family of Garrett Phillips. My hope is that they can somehow move one foot in front of the other. Their strength has been inspiring as they work to rationalize an irrational tragedy. My heart breaks every time my thoughts drift to various family members.

I’m worried about our students. How can their little minds work through a tragedy which took their friend? It’s our responsibility to recognize their anguish – it will present itself in many differing ways. We will need to help them with this for many years to come.

How can you AAKer’s focus? I’m concerned that you will need more than I can give you. A child is a precious being and you know this best of all. I am sorry that you have had to go through this.

I learned many lessons this week. I would encourage you to think of some positive acts of courage, compassion, caring, and love which you’ve witnessed. This will help you – it has helped me. I’d like to share with you a Facebook entry that a former student (now a teacher) shared with me.

Today I am so grateful that I live in Potsdam, NY. I saw 11 and 12 year olds be much more than should ever be asked of them at this age. I am so proud that my children have chosen such amazing people to call friends. To the faculty and staff at AAK...I think I can speak on behalf of the entire community when I say that you set the bar for educators. Your kindness, compassion and guidance has provided so many families the strength that they needed this week. I am in awe of what you do. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment