Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rules to Live By

Those who know me understand that my belief in self-reflection runs deep. Solid and honest hindsight is how we are able to move forward. Well, I thought you’d enjoy “reflecting” on these thoughts and rules from the past. Enjoy.

Following is a list of rules for a teacher in 1872:

1. Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys.
2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day’s session.
3. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.
4. Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church.
5. After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.
6. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
7. Every good teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not be a burden on society.
8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity, and honesty.
9. The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay, providing the Board of Education approves.

(This list of teacher rules can be found on page 29 of Raymond Bial’s One-Room School (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1999).)


Following is a list of rules for a teacher in 1915:

1. You will not marry during the term of your contract. You are not to keep company with men.
2. You must be home between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless attending a school function.
3. You may not loiter downtown in any ice cream stores.
4. You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you have permission of the chairmen of the board.
5. You may not smoke cigarettes.
6. You may not under any circumstances dye your hair.
7. You may not dress in bright colors.
8. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he be your father or brother.
9. You must wear at least two petticoats.
10. Your dresses must not be any shorter than 2 inches above the ankles.

(This list of teacher rules can be found on page 29 of Jerry Apps’ One-Room Country Schools: History and Recollections from Wisconsin (U.S.: Palmer Publications, 1996).)


Following is from an Oswego yearbook, 1931: (Thanks for sharing this, Dave.)

The Teachers Pledge

Reverently do I pledge myself to the whole hearted service of childhood.
Earnestly will I strive to keep my body, mind and affections fit for childhood’s service.
Cleanly will I live so that I may prove worthy of the faith reposed in me by the children whose lives I am to fashion.
Justly and patiently will I deal with each child so that the best in him will blossom and bear fruit.
Cheerfully will I cooperate with my co-workers to further the welfare and progress of the children entrusted to us.
Diligently will I prepare myself and practice my profession as though I expected to be a teacher all my life.
Gladly do I accept this opportunity: through the nurture of its children, to leave this world better than I found it.
Richard K. Piez


I hope you enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment