Friday, May 27, 2011

Signs

People use signs to give information, direct visitors, and occasionally inspire. Statements placed on signs are usually guiding phrases, such as, park on left, main entrance, no smoking, etc. Sometimes organizations, including schools, use signs to inspire. Normally, these inspirational signs are not too direct, but encourage amenability without offending, such as, We miss100% of the shots we don’t take, Learning Zone, and other inspirational quotes.

I recently attended a presentation at one of my neighboring schools, Norwood-Norfolk Central School, who used signs that were informational and inspiring. These signs were also extremely direct, which is a rare combination. As I walked into the school I noticed some large signs hanging on the outside of the building, which said, Norwood-Norfolk Teachers Work Hard and Care Deeply. My favorite said, Norwood-Norfolk Teachers Believe and our Kids Achieve. Kudos to the NNCS Board and Administration for saying what needs to be heard; a strong, commitment statement to your community about your teachers – your teachers should be proud.

While I feel the same about the faculty and staff at AAK, I have never posted signs such as these. I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment