Friday, March 25, 2011

What is a Middle School?

Last spring, I was speaking with Amy Guiney from SUNY Potsdam. You may have heard of her, she is responsible for many areas involving the education students, including observation and student teacher scheduling. During our discussion she asked what SUNY Potsdam could do to improve their program. This was the “in” that I needed. I framed my reply beginning with, “Well, since you asked…” and ended with a question: “What specific middle-level concepts do you teach?” I knew the answer, but wanted her to state that they didn’t have any specific courses involving the middle-level. After this wonderfully productive discussion, I have found myself being asked to periodically lend my perspective to various graduate and undergraduate classes.

Today I will be speaking to a group of student teachers, fresh from their first high school experience. Almost all of the students joining me will be moving into their second placement at a middle school. I think this is why I was asked to speak to this specific group; to help prepare them for our mysterious world called middle school. I’m sure that most of them will be spewing with confidence as they stroll into their next placement. I also think it’s safe to say they have a solid grasp of the subject matter. However, I’m positive that … they really have no idea what they’re about to encounter.

The root of my discussion will center on the title of this Friday Focus. Furthermore, I hope to discuss what a middle-schooler is. By investigating the concept of a middle school, I hope to introduce to them the Essential Elements, for this is the blueprint of a successful school. These elements indirectly tell us about the actual middle-schooler: development (body and mind), coping skills (or lack thereof), relationships (teacher-student, student-student, and even teacher-teacher), and the necessity of co-parenting for 6 ½ hours each day with their guardians.

I would encourage you to personally reflect on what you would say to a group of bright-eyed future teachers. This exercise has been invaluable for me.

I hope you enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment